Thursday, February 24, 2011

Quantum theory and free will?

Although quantum theory may suggest that actions can occur indeterminately at a subatomic level, and this can be disputed, it proves nothing about actions that occur on a larger scale. What I mean by this is that if electrons were to generate energy when not in motion, for example, that breaks a law of physics but does not mean that a person can do anything without causes. Just because a subatomic particle can behave in a way where a cause cannot be given, we cannot say the same of people. No situation can be described where a person does not have causes for their actions. Behavior can still be predicted at an atomic level and this means any effects at or higher than that level is determined. Quantum theory is also still just a theory and is not necessarily correct or at least correct in full. It is entirely possible that everything is caused at a subatomic level but people are not sure how yet. The quantum theory leads to free will idea seems to me to be equivalent to saying atoms cannot be considered alive and they make up the body of my cat, so my cat is not alive. It does not follow that the qualities of the pieces are the same as those for the whole. I cannot say that I have an understanding of quantum mechanics, because I do not, but I can say that it does not seem to follow that instances of indeterminism at such a small level mean anything for people’s free will. The argument of free will verse determinism is for most people a question of whether they and their fellow humans have it. This is not addressed in quantum mechanics.
How could quantum mechanics be applied to the actions of humans?  

No comments:

Post a Comment