Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Response to Katherine

                I think it is healthy for people to fear and inevitable for people to fear. People should not try to simply not fear, but should recognize that when they fear something there is probably a reason. Once they realize where their fear is coming from they can use reason to overcome it. If someone is scared of spiders, they may be scared of being bitten. Once they realize that their fear is really of being bitten they could recognize that poisonous spiders in their area are rare and they are more than likely to come to no harm. They may see a spider and think I fear this. Then they weigh the aspects of it that make it dangerous verse the ones that do not and if the positives of doing something outweigh the negatives they will probably be able to overcome their fear. Once they do so every subsequent time they face that situation their fear will lessen. If the negative consequences outweigh the positives, say in the case of fearing black widow spiders, the fear is healthy because the situation is dangerous and it should not be overcome. Fear is a positive natural instinct that keeps people from doing things that can hurt them and when it serves this purpose it is a great survival skill. It is when we fear things that are not really dangerous that fear needs to be worked through and dissipated. Fearing getting in a car with a drunk driver is healthy. Fearing lightning is not. It is easy to see how common fears developed as means to keep people safe. If one fears all snakes, then they are less likely to go no near a piousness one, but people do not need to be defined by their instincts and they can overcome instinctual fears.
                Do you think that certain people do not succeed in life because of a fear of failing?     

1 comment:

  1. Yes I do believe that some people do not succeed because of a fear or failing. I think if you set it in your mind that you are going to fail than you inhibit yourselves from being able to think anything else and thus you will fail. Instead of saying I am going to fail I am going to fail, these people should take after the Little Train that could, “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can”.

    I also believe that the others fail because they are lazy and or give up. Some people may even purposefully fail just to prove themselves right and the ones who believed in them wrong. Some people may purposely fail so that other will have lesser expectations for them. Honestly I think in many cases it is harder to fail than it would be to pass. I think what people “fail” to realize is in order to succeed all you need is a little bit of effort and confidence.

    Question:

    Has failure driven you to work harder so you will succeed or has it driven you to give up??

    ReplyDelete